Have you ever done any business that had to do with you referring customers to a particular product owned by a company?
This type of business described above is known as affiliate marketing.
Hi everyone my name is Timileyin and in this post I will be sharing with you a topic which is termed “starting an affiliate marketing business from your home”.
Affiliate marketing is pretty simple, it’s just about you referring potential customers or buyers to a particular business product and in return you get a commission on every product sold.
Most of these big companies in the world like Amazon, Jumia provide affiliate programs. Now if you as an affiliate marketer recommends a product and people buy that product through you, you will be given a percentage of that sale made.
There are a lot of affiliate programs to pick from and they all have their terms and conditions of service. Most of those affiliate programs will only pay you when you make a sale and it’s on a percentage level.
Other programs offer payments based on the leads you provide, some offer payment only when you click on their advert or when their ads load on your website. The latter ways by which affiliate marketers are paid are mostly used by Google AdSense users.
There’s another type of affiliate program known as the two-tier program, this program pays its users based on the output of other affiliate marketers you referred to.
The approach in which payments are being made differs between programs. For Google AdSense users, to gain access to their money, they have to reach a threshold of $100 after then they can withdraw at any moment.
Other affiliate programs could be a threshold of about $25, some pay on a monthly basis. It all depends on the terms and conditions of that particular affiliate program.
Why should you go for an Affiliate Marketing Business?
Affiliate marketing has a number of advantages and that’s what I’ll be exploring in this section.
- Minimal starting cost: Anyone who wishes to venture into affiliate marketing can actually do so even if you don’t have a lot of money on you. The reason why it’s inexpensive to start is that you don’t provide the product or service, it’s the company you’re marketing for that does that. All you need to worry about is to make sure traffic flow well to your website for revenue to flow in for you.
- As an affiliate marketer, you don’t need to bother yourself about creating any product or service just as I have mentioned in the first point, it’s the company you are marketing for that does that.
- It has an easy access in: what this means is that you can join an affiliate program under few minutes and get their ad links and start getting your money.
- Just like any other online business, you can make money at any time of the day and every time of the day and night too.
- It doesn’t require a special degree or training to get started, just like I mentioned it’s very easy to get your access in.
Why shouldn’t you go for an Affiliate Marketing Business?
We all know that there isn’t such a perfect thing, there has to be a disadvantage to something and that is what this section is all about.
- Just as your aim is to make money through referrals, you may not make that significant amount you want due to the low volume of traffic and referrals.
- Just like Google AdSense, you need to meet a threshold of $100 before you can cash out. This means that you are not in control of your money for that period of time.
- As much as operating an affiliate program is simple, there are some technicalities to it. You need to know how the web codes work and how to paste them in your website or blog.
Now that you are aware of the pros and cons of affiliate marketing and how they are being paid, you can now read this to give you an idea of what to do just before starting an affiliate program. That’s why I title this section as:
Starting as an Affiliate Marketer
Just like any other online business, you can make money as an affiliate marketer anywhere at any time whether you are at home or at your 9-5 job. Most affiliate marketers will tell you that you need a website to start one but really, you don’t. You will find out other means as we go on in this section.
To start an affiliate marketing business, you need to:
- Choose a product niche: When starting off, you don’t need to touch the whole sky what you need is to pick a section and reach deep into its traffic. Most successful online businesses focuses on a particular niche and also affiliate marketers. They take advantage of this through their websites or blog.
- Carry out your product research: You can’t just venture into something you are not familiar about, you need some form of information to guide you when making decisions. The same applies in affiliate marketing, you need to do a quality research on your product making sure of its quality, reputation, customers preference, competitions and so on.
- Make your choice on the platform through which you intend to promote the affiliate products on. I know the platforms that most affiliate marketers rely on is their website or blog but that’s not the only way possible. You can also go through your email provided you have a strong e-mail list.
Other ways include social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter and so on.
- You need to familiarize yourself with the legal activities relating to your business so as to stay legal in your business line.
Every online business takes time to start seeing tangible result. Therefore, when you start your affiliate marketing and you don’t see results immediately don’t conclude that it’s not meant for you but instead persevere and try out other means to drive traffic to your adverts.
Read, share and practice